Characters Ideas!

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Characters Ideas!

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:08 am

Alrightey people, we're going to need a bunch of characters to populate the story with!
Feel free to write up a profile and I guess we'll talk about them to try to build them into stronger characters, and add things which could be used as plot points?
Anywho, feel free to use this supervague skeleton to create some lovely bodies (or ghosties) to work with~

Name: (last name not entirely necessary if you have trouble)
Body characteristics: (hair colour? length? eye colour? bodytype? thick eyebrows? pointy chin? dead/alive?)
ypical clothing style: (Some people prefer formal, while others chill in shorts, meh)
Background: (This can be brief or detailed, but don't make it too complicated because thats just pointless unless its a plot point)
How do they know/meet the main character: (maybe they knew them already? maybe the main character meets them early on, or later? this part is optional because we will probably have to tweak it a bit later anyway)
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

View user profile http://www.soundcloud.com/itchigotchi

Back to top Go down

Re: Characters Ideas!

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:13 am

Just walking around thinking today, I figure we ought to have 
Protagonist (Female, late-mid teens) 
Blondie (Male, late teens) 
Male2 (Male, 20s (wherever)) 
Boss (Female, late 20s, early 30s) 
Ghostgirlfriend (Female, tied to Blondie) 
Alive Girl Friend (Female, late-mid teens, a buddy of Protagonist) 

Just throwing this out there.
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

View user profile http://ghostdod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:23 am

That sounds like a good amount of people for starters!

Alive Girl Friend

Name: Freya Emerson
Body characteristics: Alive, Brown eyes and tanned skin, slightly chubby, average woman height, curly black shoulder length hair, rounded nose, slightly self conscious posture
Typical clothing style: She can be seen in a school uniform usually, with longsleeves and little skull earrings
Background: Freya isn't quite a rebel, because she does actually care about her grades. She just likes the clothing, apparently, and heavy music. She tends to worry a lot about school, peoples opinions, family, etc., but this is balanced out by the way she can get overexcited about trivial things. She grew up as an only child and her parents divorced, so she spends time living at one place or the other, which is further out in the country. She wants to become a famous stuntman, but knows that is unlikely, and has settled to aim for something in finance instead. She hasn't traveled much, and suffers from the gossip of small town syndrome a little, so she enjoys going to concerts where she doesn't have to deal with anything except staying conscious in the mosh pit.
How do they know/meet the main character: Freya and (protag) met at the beginning of highschool while trying to escape doing sport in the afternoon. They gradually decided to hang out during the afternoons after walking together home from school a few times. From there, the friendship stabilized into regular hangouts. Through chance they stayed in the same classes right up until this year of school.
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

:3 Idea

Post by Enriku on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Name: Miu Ukita
Body characteristics:Dead, Purple hair with pink highlight, it about 5ft tall and has think eyebrows and a curve figure.. is peach skinned
Typical clothing style:Unique,unusual
Background: Miu is 16 and used to be a student here, due to a car accident she suffered a coma and was unable to live that long afterward, she died on my Grandmas birthday as she died alone without no one.. she seem fainted
How do they know/meet the main character: She is always crying like a child in the corridors

Enriku
Boss
Boss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Enriku wrote:Name: Miu Ukita
Body characteristics:Dead, Purple hair with pink highlight, it about 5ft tall and has think eyebrows and a curve figure.. is peach skinned
Typical clothing style:Unique,unusual
Background: Miu is 16 and used to be a student here, due to a car accident she suffered a coma and was unable to live that long afterward, she died on my Grandmas birthday as she died alone without no one.. she seem fainted
How do they know/meet the main character: She is always crying like a child in the corridors

What is a 'unique' clothing style? Where did the car accident occur? If it occurred at school, should she be a ghost in school uniform?
Would this be a ghost character that we would have to match up with someone? or Is this an idea for Blondies ghostgirlfriend?
What is the relevancy of dying on her grandmothers birthday?
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm

((I thought our ghosts were gonna be grey! Like, adawwwwwww~~klehfakf*dead*

Like, adorable little, washed out girls, flying like Marceline.)) 

I'm not great with names-- On one hand, I want every name to mean something, on the other hand, that can bring a story very far into the realm of mary sue and the scary side of fanfiction.

I think Ghostgirlfriend should probably have an older-sounding name. Maybe a biblical/christian name, or maybe just something we pull up on the census charts for 100, 200 years ago. 
I do want to note that my concept (again, nothing hard nor fast), is that all the characters are pretty much anglo' whities. Not for any real reason, but just like there's no real reason that they'd be any other race-- I hadn't taken race into consideration until one Miss Miu, who I take it is Japanische. 

That said, thanks for the profile! Even if we don't use her it isn't going to hurt us to have a ton of extra ideas going. And, she really does sound like a part of The Agency's ghostly clientele.

I kind of like the name Miu-- Itchigotchi, remember how we talked about Ghostmom? Right now I'm seriously debating (with myself) about scrapping the profile (no offence, Enriku!) and keeping the name for a middle-aged japanese woman (like in the restaurant in Skip Beat!.).

The main thing that's stopping me is that that would also kind of make Protagonist Japanese, which isn't a problem except ....

wait wait wait. None of that matters, since we're not going anime-style; the main way to depict race would be to change skin tone. Ghostmom is grey!

Also I prefer Asian characters (who live in predominantly caucasian communities) to have a most-western name. Helps 'em blend in.
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:18 pm

I guess its kinda important to have the characters seem somewhat culturally cohesive. That doesn't mean they all need to have the same family history or come from the same area.
However, its definitely not going to be set in Japan, since none of us know Japanese or are terribly familiar with the culture outside of pop culture references. So, going by the ways of emulating what you know, it will mostly be anglicized/westernized families and people.

If you're looking for a nice old biblical name, 'Sophia' or 'Esther' or 'Myrtle', 'Abigail', 'Joanna', 'Leah', 'Phoebe', 'Judith' are nice not-so-obvious ones still used today.
I guess theres also the typical ones 'Grace', 'Mary', 'Elizabeth' 'Eve' etc etc. 

Hurr hurr hurrr...
Yeah...so Miu, it is an actual last name in...Chinese, I think?
Which then gets put at the front of the name when being formal?
But a first name in Japan...which then gets put second usually?
It just reminds me of cats hahaha Miut is like, ancient egyptian for cats- 'one who makes a miu noise'
But apparently in that culture cats make great mothers?
So I guess I don't really mind =w="

-->After a little bit more researching I realized that Miu is the name of a famous vocaloid provider??

Gawddd I don't do that much research on my own names I swear I just pick them out of nowhere :l

An important point- the player is able to NAME the main character themselves.
This is one of the prompts at the beginning of the game.
We can include last name in that, or have a preset last name.

EDIT: *in fact we could have the player name everyone if we wanted, but most people cant be bothered so its probably best to keep it to one or two names they have to think up on their own
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 pm

MAD LIBS

*dancing*

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:12 pm

....Wh...what?
Well, yeah, the speeches are going to kiiiinda look like a madlib script if we end up letting the player name everyone.
...I don't know about you guys but in my pokemon game I named my rival 'Ugly', and I'm pretty sure I'd do stupid things like that if I had the choice as a player >w>
So maybe we should suggest names in the popup boxes, but the player can edit? (kinda like the beginning of Hatoful)
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Eh, seems easier to just let the player input whatever name. The people who want to abuse it will get a kick out of abusing it.

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Yeahhh.
*cough thats gunna be me while playtesting*

Do you mind having a hand at designing Blondie, Truly?
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Hm. I'll take a shot at it. Probably during a break-- I have a lot, a lot, a lot of work to do tonight so I can run my D&D sess tomorrow. When I'm worn out looking at NPCs and numbers, I'll come and write a nice (crap) character skele.

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Enriku on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:32 pm

.-. This is too over descriptive.. uh.. I hate over descriptive work.. I like simple crap

._. You make this so complicated.. I hate academic crap ._. that why I hate being very descriptive over stuff because it get too fake and no one really cares where you die.. they only care how it happened and when it happened.. that all they care about..

Also I am very pissed off so I'm not happy...

Enriku
Boss
Boss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:25 pm

...Huh?
We care about you, Enriku! You're not just a bundle of facts, you're a person!
I'm really sorry if we've seemed callous and uncaring...

I don't feel like it makes things fake the more they are described, however, I can understand you probably want the character to come alive in the writing, not in the profile section. So then writing detailed profiles becomes frustrating for you.
I'm from a text based RP background so I enjoy making detailed ones, but its understandable that not everyone does Wink
If you hate doing complicated stuff, you can just write up simple ones .w.

Is something else going on that is pissing you off, or is it just all of the chatter in this thread?
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Enriku wrote:.-. This is too over descriptive.. uh.. I hate over descriptive work.. I like simple crap

._. You make this so complicated.. I hate academic crap ._. that why I hate being very descriptive over stuff because it get too fake and no one really cares where you die.. they only care how it happened and when it happened.. that all they care about..

Also I am very pissed off so I'm not happy...

Hey~!
Look, I don't like doing character outlines either. I generally get a feel for a character only after I've RPed her or written for her for a while-- doing character outlines beforehand is weird for me. I don't know what motivations I'll want her to have or where I want to take her as a character.
So I sympathize.
However, you don't even have to do character skellies, hun! I like you for your character art. You got shot down on the other project but I like specifically, your art style. I won't ask you to do anything to the characters but draw them. Itchigotchi and I already spoke at length (via PM on MCL.. maybe that was a stupid thing we did) about the characters and plot and world, so if it's confusing, or you don't like where it's going... that's fine. Let us know. We will, all three of us, come to an agreement. We'll change the story, or the characters, or maybe one of us decides it just makes more sense to leave. Everything will be fine. I like you guys.

If you've got an out-of-project problem that you want to talk about, you can put it on the Off-Topic box? We'll listen.

[EDIT]
Or, if it's the whole thing about not using your character skeleton-- It's not that she's a bad character. But I think it's more realistic if all the characters... fit together.
For an example, look at the Harry Potter series. Main characters Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ronald Weasly. They are all unique, right? You can tell which one they each are. But they are all very much alike, too: They are all from the same country. They are all wizards. They are all about the same age. They all have standard, regular styles of dress.
So, as far as Miu (the way you wrote her) goes-- she's an acceptable character, but she might just be Out of Place in this story. Like a cowboy at Hogwarts.

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Enriku on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:45 am

I am just angry at people in my school due to I am currently being bullied.. so I am upset.. I have done detail profiles.. but like your is like squashed ._.

I am just so tired and I am started year 10 so I may have to quit the project because how hard my life is currently.. If we are not starting until after August then I can stay but if we have to start July ish then I can't.. seriously sorry >.<

Enriku
Boss
Boss

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Ah, I get that. I used to get bullied a lot more when I was in highschool. In 11th and 12th grade I was confident enough in myself that I started picking fights back and they started to become afraid of me. 

I'm taking summer semester off though, so I have ALL my free time right now. 

If you do want to make an off-topic thread to rant in, I can offer sympathetic vitriol, and Itchigotchi is probably a little more level-headed, able to offer actual advice (but I can't promise for her).

We are both far, far away from you, so you can say what you'd like without having to worry it'll get back to your friends (or enemies).

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Ghostgirlfriend is officially the cute, moe one. "What is it they say... always cut toward yourself, right?"

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Awww Enriku that sucks about being bullied! ;_;
I hope that everyone is a little kinder or that you find some friends to help you out when you begin year 10.
*sending mental hugs*

Well.... I'd kinda prefer to start earlier...I mean, August feels pretty far away...
But you guys don't seem to be in any hurry. >.>"
Its just, you know, 2 months away, you guys may have lost interest, given up or found other projects you'd rather do... a lot can happen in a month, ya know? I feel like we only just barely got started and now its possible we are going on hiatus? Aaah, perhaps its just me being somewhat untrusting or impatient ...bleh.

Your contribution and input is still valuable and appreciated, whether you can draw next month or whether you won't have free time for half a year~ Smile
However, if it really is too much and you're unlikely to even make two character pictures in the next two months, please say so so that we can search for another artist to help out with drawing as well c:
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 am

Well uh, Imma go ahead and make another profile I guess

Name: Charlie Hayes
Body characteristics: Charlie is slightly taller than the boss, but stands in an awkward way as if he is not comfortable with being that tall. He has brown hair thats slightly wavy, short at the back and longer at the front, and electric blue eyes.
Typical clothing style: Charlies clothing might be a little too short in some places because he forgets to go shopping as he kept growing, but he generally has more than one layer of upper body clothing (shirt + waistcoat or skivvi + shirt) and black pants. He likes blue shoes but doesn't know if they're appropriate so he may or may not wear them? xD
Background: Charlie was a shortass all throughout highschool, and it was much more his scene to hide in the art rooms or ask permission to sit in classrooms. He lived with his aunt most of his life, because his parents were busy working as scientists in the middle of the ocean- which is no place to bring up a young man! These living circumstances have made his behavior somewhat detached from that of his peers, and he has many older peoples mannerisms because of time he spent in his aunts social circle. He found it was very shrewd to be perceived as a 'nice young man' by older people, as they are often much more open to his suggestions this way. He did part time jobs at nursing homes, spending time talking to the people there, and realized that he could often continue to talk to them even when nobody else could. Upon recommendation by a group of elderly ghost women, he was hired by the boss when he graduated highschool, and has worked there ever since.
How do they know/meet the main character: Charlie works at GHOST as one of the communicators between the dead. He often finds himself talking to more middle-aged/elderly ghosts who have died, rather than young ones, because they see him as 'a nice young man'.
He would probably meet the main character as part of office introductions.
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 am

I can't help but see him as the Kyoya... 

Or maybe it's like a cross between Kyoya and Harry Potter?

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:53 am

Idk man, he's not as admin based or sneaky as a Kyouya? harry....potter? Ahahaha what about him reminds you of a mystical mistreated teen?
Like, hmm.... trying to think of a fictional character that gets along with older people.
--comes up with nothing--
But you KNOW the sort of people I meannnnn don't you?
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 am

Itchigotchi wrote:Idk man, he's not as admin based or sneaky as a Kyouya? harry....potter? Ahahaha what about him reminds you of a mystical mistreated teen?
Like, hmm.... trying to think of a fictional character that gets along with older people.
--comes up with nothing--
But you KNOW the sort of people I meannnnn don't you?
Yeah, the sort of people who are Kyoya and Harry Potter. 

I was actually trying to come up with a version of Kyoya who wasn't super well-dressed. Who wasn't super well-dressed? Ickle Harry Potter, with his disheveled, rumpled look. Even the books say he only got hand-me-downs, and that his hair wouldn't stay neat, no matter what you did. 

.___. 
idk 

Er, was I supposed to make a jab about him living with his Aunt, like HP? <__<

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:06 am

<w<

Naw, I was figuring you would have counted Harry Potters interactions with teachers as being 'getting along with older people'.
Perhaps I could change aunt to grandmother, just to drive the point home. It would make a good excuse for the nursing home thing too.
I was tempted to give him red hair then realized that would make him a weasley

If the character stereotype is cliche or overdone, do you have any useful suggestions?
What shall we change about him?
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Play up the stereotype even more?

Boss
Boss