"Random Encounters" ~ Ghost Dating!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Random Encounters" ~ Ghost Dating!

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:00 am

Itchi, you had said you wanted some throw in some shoutouts, and you seem to have an idea of what these Ghostly encounters will (might) be like.

So, what are your thoughts? How many? Who are they? Where? Do you have a topic of conversation for 'em? For some of 'em?
(Of course, Sinister and Spiders can weigh in too.)

Whatcha got?

Boss
Boss

View user profile http://ghostdod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "Random Encounters" ~ Ghost Dating!

Post by Itchigotchi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:18 am

Okay, well, I was thinking some of the ghosts could be dead characters from old roleplays I've been in (basically because it will get those people interested in playing ;D )

A playful ghost called Maj, with streaky blue hair, a wide smile, and no idea of personal space, who generally likes to pester people with nonsense riddles
could be paired up with;
A boy ghost called Sui, with scruffy hair and a fairly cold smart-ass attitude, who has no tolerance for Maj's shitty riddles
A short girl ghost called Tsuki, with long hair and a sword, who is slightly obsessive and thinks that Maj is really physically attractive

We could also do shoutouts to dead rockstars or somethin' in that concert pairing up scenario

And theres another few universes I could grab characters from, but I can't remember the characters names off the top of my head, so I'll do it later.

Do you know any people who would be like 'AWESOME' if they found out one of their characters was in or inspired a ghost in the game?
Anyone who made a character in the past that you particularly liked, that might wanna play?
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

View user profile http://www.soundcloud.com/itchigotchi

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:35 am

No. Don't really have anybody I want to give shoutouts to either, and I'm not sure there's anybody I know, even who will play this game.

Also, we seem to have a lot of asian ghosts.

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:42 am

We can change their names. Anglicize them, I dont care.
Maj is short for Major, or it can be Matt
Those were just the original characters names.
Sui can be Stuart
Tsuki can be Sookie or Sue

People you know don't like visual novels? Or, would you simply be hesitant to say anything?
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:56 am

A handful of IRL friends who probably aren't into VNs, including the ones who don't have internet access, internet friends probably don't give a crap-- that's not the crowd I hang out with.

Tryna think how we're gonna put these people in. (do you have references or descriptions or pictures or something?)

How many of them are there?
Like, you named three, but made it sound like there were a ton more. I thought there would only be a few, how many people do you want to put in?

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:09 am

I don't really mind how many, so, I guess we can just figure out how many ghost date scenarios there might be, and I can get more character references ^^"

Oh yes, I have reference pictures. In fact, I might be able to dig up original profiles...
But do I need to?
Ghosts dont necessarily need to be well developed over time though, they just need to have personalities and traits which are blaringly obvious for the brief amount of time that you do meet them.

Oxana, a dark haired ghost woman with tattoos and a fairly thick yugoslavian accent which makes her difficult to understand
could pair with
Xavier, an orange haired office executive with cat-like mannerisms
Vani, an infuriatingly angsty ghost guy with dark hair who seems to have some sort of authority defiance problem
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:33 am

Also in talking to you here I realized another issue I completely should have realized before but didn't:
How are we going to get the ghosts to one another?

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:33 am

'To one another'?
What do you mean?
The screen can handle having three character pictures on it at one time.
The choice menu can handle up to three choices.
If you mean like, a storyline blip which makes us able to choose, I figure that the ghost matchmaking agency has somewhat of a waiting list, or a booklet of clients. Its as simple as reading their files and getting into contact with them (through actually going to the place that they haunt, or if they're already in the waiting room/ GHOST HQ morgue) when you wish to try to hook them up with another ghost.
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderLondon on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:45 am

Itchigotchi wrote:Okay, well, I was thinking some of the ghosts could be dead characters from old roleplays I've been in (basically because it will get those people interested in playing ;D )

A playful ghost called Maj, with streaky blue hair, a wide smile, and no idea of personal space, who generally likes to pester people with nonsense riddles
could be paired up with;
A boy ghost called Sui, with scruffy hair and a fairly cold smart-ass attitude, who has no tolerance for Maj's shitty riddles
A short girl ghost called Tsuki, with long hair and a sword, who is slightly obsessive and thinks that Maj is really physically attractive

We could also do shoutouts to dead rockstars or somethin' in that concert pairing up scenario

And theres another few universes I could grab characters from, but I can't remember the characters names off the top of my head, so I'll do it later.

Do you know any people who would be like 'AWESOME' if they found out one of their characters was in or inspired a ghost in the game?
Anyone who made a character in the past that you particularly liked, that might wanna play?

GEIOW! You love playing with those charries huh?
SpiderLondon
Shade

View user profile http://spiderlondon.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:53 am

It'll make them wanna read it
And it'll make them laugh
I was tempted to say 'london' since yours was technically the first to die but, really, thats kinda up to you xD

I'd include commonsky universe charries but as far as I know only one of them died, and he was boring as hell anyway. x_x'
And Gallagher girls are all still living.

London, do you have any ghost suggestions?
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderLondon on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:55 am

Nah, you can use GEIOW London. Dude! Make a ghost Harper. She is crazy as hell! And people would love it
SpiderLondon
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 am

Maybe she can be one of the turned evilly ones that poses a physical/psychological threat, when we introduce the concept of ghosts turning!
I mean, she does seem like the type to haunt someone until they amputate their own leg for parts, or other people x'D
Matter of fact she's like that while she's alive.

If she wasn't going to be a threat I guess I'd have to wonder who she would get matched up with .___.'
Or who would LONDON get matched up with ;D If you say toad boy
...Yeah that felt weird. You're not in the game, you're helping to make it!
Goddamnit why is everything you make called the same name!
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiderLondon on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 am

Because I mermoize London faster.

Add a little les dating part? o3o briXharper all the way XD Joking! London doesn't have to be in it, I really don't mind. Just add some cameos of her and that'd be fine
SpiderLondon
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Itchigotchi wrote:
'To one another'?
What do you mean?
The screen can handle having three character pictures on it at one time.
The choice menu can handle up to three choices.
If you mean like, a storyline blip which makes us able to choose, I figure that the ghost matchmaking agency has somewhat of a waiting list, or a booklet of clients. Its as simple as reading their files and getting into contact with them (through actually going to the place that they haunt, or if they're already in the waiting room/ GHOST HQ morgue) when you wish to try to hook them up with another ghost.
No, I mean in-world-- literally, how do you get one ghost to another. Or I guess more figuratively, too.
Basically, are you going to visit one ghost, pick him up and add him to your inventory, then travel to another, compatable ghost, and mush them up together? You say "they have the option to ship with X or Y", but does that mean that both X and Y are going to be in the game, or that we'll pick one?
What happens when you try to pair up two ghosts who are "incompatable", or not of the same storyline?

Also, characters certainly don't have to be dead in their world, to receive a shoutout by playing a role in another universe, even as a ghost... It's weird to me that I have to explain that. If I wanted to reference LotR, I'd put in a Legolas ghost, even if he didn't die in-story.

ALSO, what is the story for these? Do they have an important place in the plot yet? Are we waiting for the plot on that? Or are we going to base the plot on it? I feel like this should grow out of necessity but there are currently no necessities because there is currently no story.

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 am

No ghost inventory. That would be a bitch to program and I'm not up to it.
Surely we can have the ghost follow you as part of the story. Also, we can't just mush them together like potatoes, they've got to like each other.
So whichever dating option you choose for the ghost you're trying to matchmake, we end up with a scenario of the two ghosts meeting and getting along (or not).

We won't have the problem of ghosts from different storylines being paired up, because its not as though the player has an inventory of ghosts to pick from. The protag is only new at this, so whichever co-worker they are with will probably take a look at the GHOST clientele and narrow it down to two or three options, which the player then chooses from.
Each time the options will be different, so we won't have trouble with unpaired/paired ghosts popping up again and the inevitable bugs that would ensue if we tried to make the game have a memory for which ghosts are paired or not....

So I'm trying to say that each ghost date scenario is a separate event, with character choices that are not the same as the scenarios before or after.
Co workers present you with a choice (or you bully your way into making the choice, or go behind their back and choose, or whatever) and then the storyline follows the protags efforts to get those two ghosts to pair up. The ways the protag goes about this may be as simple as setting them up on a ghostly date, stopping them from strangling each other, or sitting around and doing nothing at all as they instantly fall in love *shrug*
We're treating ghosts as though they are people, with dialogue and reservations and such, so we cant just, erm, put them in a machine and get a number to find out if they are compatible.
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 am

Maj, Sookie and Stuart can be the first ghost dating event if you choose to head out with Blondie.
They are young ghosts (which is why Blondie gets to deal with them), and the fact that a ghost is ALREADY attracted to another ghost is going to put forth the questions of whether you want to break up something that is already sortof happening and pair a ghost with someone that at first appears completely incompatible (just like do you want to break up blondie and ghost girlfriend, who will have opinions on your choices) OR
do you want to help the ghosts go with the flow, and encourage the already attracted ghost girl to go for it and try to get the guy she likes (which, basically, will be akin to the protag encouraging ghostgirlfriend, as gg will be on the sidelines watching your choices, listening, agreeing, and liking you more).

Oxana, Xavier and Vani can be the first scenario with Charlie, as they are all older ghosts, apart from Vani who is a younger one.
Choosing to pair Oxana up with Vani shows Charlie that you don't have much regard for age differences, and can make a logical choice 'obviously if we don't pair up Vani now, he'll only become more difficult in the future' 'yes, protag, that seems logical, we may as well give it a shot.'
Whereas pairing up Oxana and Xavier probably makes the boss and Charlie a little amused, as the mysterious woman gets paired up with the straightman, just like in the beginning of their own relationship, so they share an inside joke or two.
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:08 pm

What happens to the third wheel??

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:41 pm

They don't get paired, and stay on the list of clientele, as they are not in urgent danger of 'turning' just yet and aren't high priority.
Obviously there are more people than just You working there, so it becomes somebody elses job and not storyline relevant to sort that ghost out.
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm afraid I'm just not getting it.

Is it like you have Ghost 1, 2, and 3 in a room, and have to pair two of them up somehow?
Do you have to go to each location and pick them up?
Do you already have all three on your list? Do you have to find them first? Do you have to find all of them? How do you smush them together?

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:41 pm

A scenario may better illustrate things, so here is some speculative dialogue;

Protag: "So now its our job to pair him up?"
Blondie: "I guess those are the boss's orders"
P: "But he doesn't look harmful yet?"
B: "The point is to deal with them before they become harmful, I think"
Major: "Hey, talking about people as if they aren't there is RUDE, you know!"
P: "So what are his options?"
Major: "Ooooo! I bet I already know all my options~ This ones a test I can't lose, hehehe!"
B: "We've narrowed it down to a ghost called Stuart, or one called Sookie"
B: "It says here that Sookie already wants to be Majors girlfriend"
GG: "How adorable! We should help them pair up!"
M: "So I DO know both of them! Whoopee! But Stuart is such a funkillerrrr"
P: ->Choose Stuart
-> Choose Sookie

Under 'Choose Stuart'
P: "Well he seems the most keen on Stuart, I guess."
"Besides, if Sookie hasn't managed to date Major already, theres probably no hope."
B: "I suppose so..."
GG: "She probably just needed some encouragement. Hmf."
P: "So now what do we do?"
B: "Well, Stuarts details have him haunting some fancy park"
M: "Oh yes, Stuart always liked fancy places~ Fancy dancey things, oh but they can't cure what he's suffered~"
P: "Lets go to the park then. The sound of Majors voice is annoying me."
GG: "Pfft! Maybe you just don't like ghosts!"
B: "Hey, be nice, c'mon, its her first day on the job, and he is a little annoying."
GG: "What, are all ghosts annoying then? Am I annoying?"
B: "What- no!"
P: "..."
GG: "Hmf! well SHE doesn't seem to like me around, so I'll go find something else to do!!"
*GG leaves*
B: "..." *he looks frustrated*
P: "Well. That was interesting."
B: "You could have SAID something"
P: "Sure, but she seemed like she wanted to be annoyed."
M: "Trouble in paradise? Only if paradise is purgatory~"
B: "Shut up you. Lets go."

*They go to the park*

M: "Oh Stuuuuuarttttttttttt I heard you're here, and hearing you're here made me here to hear you!"
Stuart: "....Ah. Fuck."
M: "I haven't seen you in ever so looong~ You stopped visiting me and playing games! I was. so. sad."
S: "That was on purpose. I hate your games."
M: "You do!? But, but, nobody should hate my games...even if you do what you do, you shouldn't. But maybe you can't? Or would, but won't? Or cou-"
S: "-Shut UP with that nonsense!!"

B: "They don't appear to be getting along"
P: "Maybe Sookie was the better choice.."
B: "You're right though, she was too clingy for Major"
P: "She was?"
B: "Yeah, we tried it before."
P: "Then...I guess we should give them a bit more time."

*insert dialogue in which Major and Stuart end up happily together*

Under 'Choose Sookie'
P: "Maybe Sookie just needs some encouragement"
B: "Shes obviously keen, so its probably the best option."
GG: "Thats the spirit! She probably just needs some dating tips!"
P: "Like what, try to be less clingy and do something nice?"
GG: "...I...suppose? But probably something nicer."
B: "She probably feels insecure, and needs to know she's loved no matter what."
GG: "Blondie! Thats so mature of you!"
P: "....Yeeeeeees....."
GG: "I'm sure she'd love it if the guy she liked understood that!"
B: "Well, it seems obvious to me?"
GG: "You're so awesome!"
P: "Okay okay enough complimenting now, we've got a job to do."
GG: "Right. I'll probably get in the way. See you after work, Blondie~"
B: "Seeya GG"
M: "Well well welly well well isn't that the most mismatched pair"
"Of socks. I have ever seen. On that pedestrian. Over there."
P: "You're not fooling anyone, buddy."
B: "Alright, now Sookie likes to hang out at the graveyard, so lets head there."

*They go to the graveyard*

Sookie: "Oh! My gosh! Majora! I'm so glad you came!"
M: "You are? How come? Were there riddles to be riddled?"
S: "Hehe! Nooooo, I missed you, thats why~"
M: "....Oh. Thats a boring reason."
S: "No, its a lovely reason! And look, isn't it a lovely day?"
M: "Its only as lovely as you feel it is"
S: "Thats such a sweet thing to say, Majjie!"

P: "You know, I don't think he's feelin' it."
B: "We'll intervene if he gets aggressive, but I doubt he will"
P: "True. She just seems a bit pushy though."
B: "Ah, ghost girls can be like that sometimes."
P: "I suppose so."
B: "We'll just wait, for now, they seem to be getting along a bit better"

*Insert dialogue where Major and Sookie get together*
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:56 pm

I... stopped reading eventually. Why is GGF hanging around here?
& I'm getting kind of an "everybody is the same person" vibe, except for GGF, who is more of an "I'm angry if I don't get my way" vibe.

Also it's not clear why one or the other is "her way". She is she mad about one of them...?

So, what I was asking before is like, how do you "narrow it down"? Also, do you take "Major" to the park? ...Why?

Also, "Major" IS annoying.
"What are his options?"
"Oooooo!"

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:56 am

What made you stop reading? I thought it was broken up into manageable chunks but possibly not.
GGF is hanging around because she is always interested in hanging around Blondie?
You know, that thing, where couples have their other half around a lot of the time? Isn't that normal?

Yeah. I don't know the character of Blondie well enough to write anything that shows his personality very well. But basically he's the one giving the instructions and information to protag/player, and is in a relationship with GG whereas Protag is not. Is he meant to be more friendly? Make lighthearted comments? Is he more serious about the job than protag is?

It doesn't need to be clear whether one choice or the other is 'her way'.
She can't help but see herself in this situation, because it involves a female ghost and the boy of that ghosts affections- just like her own situation. Saying that couple shouldn't get together is akin (in her eyes) to saying that you disapprove of her and blondie.
She's unstable. She gets grumpy easily. I'm glad that came across in the text.

The point of having her and blondie interact and offer their opinions in the ghost matchmaking scenario is a way to make it plot relevant- you learn something about them, and they learn something about you through your choices.

I'm glad I managed to make Major annoying =w="
He's meant to be that way.
I figure the ghosts which get matched up should probably haunt different locations otherwise it doesn't make sense that they haven't already met and found peace or whatever. Haunting somewhere doesn't mean you're bound to it, its just like the ghost equivalent of hanging out there, because they like it for some reason or another.
Taking someone out to the park doesn't mean you physically drag them by the arm, you know. Haven't you ever taken somebody somewhere? It doesn't really require physical contact- You just get them to follow you.

"How do you narrow it down?" Sounds like a question that protag would ask.
C: "We use the criteria of urgency, horoscopes, personality stereotypes, shared or similar life experiences and their own stated personal preferences to determine a range of match options, then select two with widely differing characteristics."
P: "Why would you have two options, after all that? Why can't you just narrow it down to one?"
C: "Think of it numerically- If the subject is looking for the number 73, and we offer a 1 and a 100, one of these is going to be a closer match. If it fails, we can still judge more easily what they will want, for the future- they seemed to prefer a higher number."
P: "So you do use numbers?"
C: "No. But I'm trying to make it simple for you."
*Charlie grins a little, and the conversation seems to be over*

P: "How do you narrow it down?"
B: "Errr... think of it like a ghostly eHarmony system. Computers come up with matches."
P: "Yeah, but what are the mechanics of it?"
B: "Geez! I don't know! Ask Charlie, he designed it. All I know is that it works... most of the time."
P: "And when it doesn't?"
B: "Errr...Ask the boss about that. I don't want to explain. Its depressing."
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Ok, so we have different understandings of how "haunting" works-- I always understood that you are bound to that place.
That's ok.

GGF was always sweetheart yandere in my mind.

I don't understand why you're tkaing them to the part-- are you escorting them to a date? I would think bringing them back to HQ would make more sense, but.

Also, this process seems to imply people want what they want. It seems like many don't. To put it another way, a lot of men will say they're attracted to a thin woman, right? But if they hit it off with someone who isn't thin, that usually won't be a deal-breaker.

I... I'm not sure if it's normal to have your S.O. hanging on you at all hours of the day. I mean, I wouldn't know. But it seems like she'd be more worried about the time they're spending apart, than forcing her way into his missions all of the time.

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Cool, I'm glad that got sorted out. It becomes too technical and difficult if ghosts are bound- we'd have to go all Danny Phantom and put them in jars and transport them or something.

Well I didn't know girlfriends personality. Sure, she can be a sweetheart. I can't write sweethearts though, so I'll give that to london or sinister.
Sure, escorting them back to HQ makes sense too. This was hypothetical. People can meet anywhere, so can ghosts. Having all the action happen at the office makes people bored, and having a change of background breaks up the text a little bit, making it easier to read. It was a mostly functional reason I'd want to have the ghosts meeting scene at a different place to where you originally encounter the one who needs to be paired, and I simply made up a storyline reason for it (that not all the ghosts are hanging out in the office basement, they're floating around doing other stuff, so you drag the pair-ee around to them to say hi)

People sometimes don't want what they say they want, this is true.
Which is why, for instance, Major and Stuart will get together if you choose to pair them, even though Major says that Stuart is a spoilsport.
Not every option that we give to ghosts is going to be their dream date, but sometimes the ghosts will just click, regardless. Its a combination of things which is the criteria, not simply 'we give them what they want'.

If she's a sweetheart, you're right, she wouldn't be so clingy.
I just didn't know that she was meant to be sweet. Don't think thats been mentioned anywhere so far. Perhaps she just goes with him to work, or meets him when he's done, so you get to have conversations with her anyway.
If she doesn't hang around the workplace or around blondie while he's working, protag has no reason to know her, or to know anything about her, apart from if Blondie babbles about her while on the job.
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 am

Yeah.
I'm having sort of the same problem I'm projecting on you-- I have a nice headcanon going, and your telepathy is too low. So, sorry about that.

I sort of thought of her as keyed to one place-- probably the GHOST HQ. She might be encountered on the main floor, or in the basement/morgue. I'm hoping for a scene where Blondie goes up to the roof to avoid her.

It seems like just picking up ghosts (and putting them into your backpack) is too simple-- they'd get bored and move around, right? Or even if not this, it seems weird that not only would these ghosts-- who frankly, don't seem to like each other-- would not only let you play matchmaker, but let you pair them up with someone they don't want. In the example, GGF's reaction was waaaaay more than Major's reaction-- in fact, Major just like, shrugs and does whatever you say.

Might be more interesting if you talk to these ghosts on your own, mostly, or if (and this is what I had been thinking of before you introduced the concept of The Thousand Triangles), there is some other way to satisfy a ghost.
Maybe there is a ghost who doesn't need dating and you find out and Charlie is like, "well let's pack up" and you're like "what? we can fix this!" "Yeah but it's out of our jurisdiction. *shrug*"

((Note: maybe the Rockstar one is one of those choices that doesn't really matter-- whichever you pick, someone else cuts you off to say, "why not both?" ))

Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top