GHOST: Date Or Die
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A person that does things

4 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

A person that does things Empty A person that does things

Post by Itchigotchi Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:35 am

Hehh
Hopefully the title explains itself~

This is a thread where you can say hello, if you're new to the forums and don't know anyone!
Apart from me because I'm fabulous and of course you know me OHOHOHO

*cough*

Anyway, feel free to say how you'd like to be addressed, maybe a fav colour, what you like to do as hobbies or to have fun.
Or, if you're more the glass is half empty kinda person, say the colours you hate the most, and what you absolutely detest doing
Very Happy 

Either way this information will help us all get along at ease and work better togetherrrrr

OKAY I'LL GO FIRST
Hi I'm Itchigotchi, call me Itchi if you're feelin' lazy, or make up some other amazingly long intricate nickname to address me by.
My favourite colour is garnet, like, dark red, and I like to play games, roleplay, listen to music, dress up, drink tea, explore caves, sing and draw.
I detest fluoro colours, and sometimes when I'm feeling vindictive I'll wear bright orange, bright green and highlighter yellow with leopord print and stripes, just to assault peoples eyeballs. I reeeeeaaaaaaalllly detest running. I swear I was made to be some sort of human-manitee hybrid, because I'm just a complete unco on my feet.

OKAY YOUR TURN
Very Happy

Last edited by Itchigotchi on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

http://www.soundcloud.com/itchigotchi

Back to top Go down

A person that does things Empty Re: A person that does things

Post by Sinister Broadcast Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:54 am

Hello, I'm Sinister Broadcast, feel free to shorten the name if you like. I don't have any particular favourite colour, it really depends on my mood. Most of the time I lean towards different shades of green. I have many interests including reading, writing, photography, listening to music, casual gaming and drawing.

I tend to be rather reclusive and it usually takes a while for me to warm up to people. I can't stand loud noises, loud people and crowded areas. This is mostly because I'm prone to anxiety attacks.

Ummmm, yeah, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Sinister Broadcast
Sinister Broadcast
Shade

http://sinister-broadcast.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:11 pm

So wat do you do, mate? I mean, we're all multitaskers, but what's your shtick, your main asset? What's your role?
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

https://ghostdod.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Broadcast Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Me? Normally I'm just a floater, taking up the odd jobs I'm assigned. I excel at writing, when a good subject comes my way. Itchigotchi invited me over from My Candy Love to help out with writing, plotting and character designs (I'm a stickler for details so well defined character designs are something I'm fairly good at) as well as she mentioned needing someone to help draw out characters.
Sinister Broadcast
Sinister Broadcast
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 pm

I'm not so sure about "detailed characters" -- the more specific we make them, the less relatable they are, right? The more restricted we are in writing them, right? And in writing highly detailed characters, we run the risk of having them sit there and just dictate their life story, so as not to have the beloved backstory just thrown away or ignored.
Buuuuut, I'll back off.

We've got basic main characters, we've got basic direction for the story... kind of. But we don't have a middle. Right now I'm looking for someone to help map out or outline the story and branches.
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Broadcast Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Not really. You don't have to give the whole back story in the game, but how are you supposed to know how the person will act and what they would say unless you know their story? It would actually make them more relateable since they would be more real, solid characters. Just look at any good story, think of what the main character would be like if the author didn't know their back story. How did they get there, why do they act the way they do? You can't really get a good feeling for a person unless you know what made them the way they are now. Like, if you have someone who went through hard times in the past, they're going to act a certain way, right? What are things they really like, what are things they really hate, what are they afraid of, what are they allergic to?? It seems to fickle, but it just gives you  a better understanding of the person who's point of view you're writing from.

By having no detail, it may seem like it gives you more room to move, but it really just makes the character less reliable. There's no solid attitude, they'll end up varying too much. The more detail you put it, the easier it will be to write from their point of view since you'll know exactly who they are and how they act. You just kind of end up writing more from your point of view as the character, instead of writing as the character themselves.

I know it seems like a lot of work for nothing, but it really does benefit the final product.
Sinister Broadcast
Sinister Broadcast
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:57 pm

Well well, good too see some chatting going on~

I think that both of your points have merit-
Tintin, for example, is a protagonist with almost no personality, yet he is very very popular. The readers can interpret his actions and thoughts in whatever way they want, which makes him a relateable everyman type character. He can do anything.
Sometimes when characters do get over explained, or meticulously detailed, they become clunky and difficult to use without angst getting in the way. Even worse, the writers may become too attached to their little babies that they pour so much effort into, that they may become personally attached and offended if somebody does not like them.

On the other hand, vague characters make for a very bland set of colours with which to paint a story. In group situations, being specific and understanding what everyone wants and expects is key to success, and this goes the same for writing. Having a cohesive understanding of the character which everybody can understand means that different sections of writing or dialogue by different authors will not vary too widely, as everyone would understand how the character may react. That was the worst sentence ever
How we react to things is based on our past experiences and personality, right? So it is necessary to have some understanding of these things in order to make a character have human qualities (and flaws). That is not to say that people are predictable, however, they should be understandable to some degree, in order to help the players feel attached to them, and to aid in writing.

At this point in the gameplan, most of the characters are still too vague for writers to do much, without making up a who suite of traits and history which may not necessarily agree with what everyone else thinks is canon.

Anyway, I'm sure that Sinister can help us map out the scenarios in the middle of the story, and where we might disagree on how a character would act- perhaps thats where we will put a branch!

This is meant to be the off topic section anyway, so don't worry about whether you should do this or that too heavily, and if you have further ideas about the game, chuck them up in the other areas. Its good to have other peoples input, so don't feel shy about saying what you reckon, and how you feel about things!
You don't need to defend your right to discuss things~
Disagreements aren't personal, they're a natural part of working in a team

that turned out a lot longer than expected
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Sinister Broadcast wrote:
Not really. You don't have to give the whole back story in the game, but how are you supposed to know how the person will act and what they would say unless you know their story? It would actually make them more relateable since they would be more real, solid characters. Just look at any good story, think of what the main character would be like if the author didn't know their back story. How did they get there, why do they act the way they do? You can't really get a good feeling for a person unless you know what made them the way they are now. Like, if you have someone who went through hard times in the past, they're going to act a certain way, right? What are things they really like, what are things they really hate, what are they afraid of, what are they allergic to?? It seems to fickle, but it just gives you  a better understanding of the person who's point of view you're writing from.
You don't know that the author knows the characters' backstories.
And I have to point out, "You can't get a good feeling for a person unless you know what made them they way they are now" and similar following assertions you make: yes. You can. Case in point, the reader. The reader can get a good feeling for the character, without knowing their past.

Sinister Broadcast wrote:
By having no detail, it may seem like it gives you more room to move, but it really just makes the character less reliable. There's no solid attitude, they'll end up varying too much. The more detail you put it, the easier it will be to write from their point of view since you'll know exactly who they are and how they act. You just kind of end up writing more from your point of view as the character, instead of writing as the character themselves.

I know it seems like a lot of work for nothing, but it really does benefit the final product.
Well, you don't give them no detail. You just don't make them fully fleshed out characters-- it depends on if the story is character-driven or plot-driven.
Also it seems like, "there's no solid attitude" is really easily beaten by saying, "his general attitude should be like this". You don't need to necessarily know why-- as a human being in real life, you don't know why most people do most things, you don't know most people's backgrounds, backstories. It doesn't make them any less "life like".
And what's the difference between "my point of view as the character" and "the character themselves"? Since I am not the character, I will always be writing in-character, but from my point of view.

In the end, you can put as many useless, readers-will-never-know, doesn't-have-any-effect-on-the-story, details into a character as you want, but either you and I, as writers, will diverge from them, or you and I, as writers, will force them in at every point possible and say "look at how deep and interesting my character is!"

Sometimes, it's fun to just play the Dwarf Fighter with a battleaxe. Get it? You don't have to be some neat new original thing. Keep it Simple. I think you'll find that the characters that find they need to grow, will grow, when they find they need to. No need to make square pegs, if you're only intend to fit them into round holes.
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:43 am

Truly_An_Cat wrote:
And I have to point out, "You can't get a good feeling for a person unless you know what made them they way they are now" and similar following assertions you make: yes. You can. Case in point, the reader. The reader can get a good feeling for the character, without knowing their past.
I think she might be saying it is difficult from an authors point of view; To write a story without knowing the character design is rather difficult.

Truly_An_Cat wrote:Well, you don't give them no detail. You just don't make them fully fleshed out characters-- it depends on if the story is character-driven or plot-driven.
Also it seems like, "there's no solid attitude" is really easily beaten by saying, "his general attitude should be like this". You don't need to necessarily know why-- as a human being in real life, you don't know why most people do most things, you don't know most people's backgrounds, backstories. It doesn't make them any less "life like".
And what's the difference between "my point of view as the character" and "the character themselves"? Since I am not the character, I will always be writing in-character, but from my point of view.
Some writers use the technique of putting themselves in the characters shoes in order to write.
In this way, they do require logical and rational explanations for the each characters actions and feelings.
Your own personal point of view/experiences/logic and your characters should generally not be the same;- this leads to overattatchment and trouble.
When we finish thinking up all of the characters/basic plotline I am going to run them through a few mary sue litmus tests to try to iron out the sores like that ;_;

Truly_An_Cat wrote:In the end, you can put as many useless, readers-will-never-know, doesn't-have-any-effect-on-the-story, details into a character as you want, but either you and I, as writers, will diverge from them, or you and I, as writers, will force them in at every point possible and say "look at how deep and interesting my character is!"

Ew lets not force backstory explanations please. Or if we do have a character explain their backstory can we make fun of it? eheheheh
I don't mind having extra 'readers will never know' details to characters because I find it personally entertaining.

Truly_An_Cat wrote:Keep it Simple.
Yesh! The KISS principle!
"Keep It Simple, Stupid!"
But simple things can have a multitude of thought behind them, can they not?~
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Broadcast Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:06 am

Anyways, it's not too big of a deal right now. We just need to focus on planning out how this whole thing will go. You already have the the basic plot of it, so what goes next?

I keep trying to play the little game clip so see what style this whole thing will be it, but I keep getting errors every time I try to open it.

I don't suppose someone could put up a few screen shots of it or something???
Sinister Broadcast
Sinister Broadcast
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Doh... I still haven't played that.
I keep forgetting when I'm on a computer that can handle it.

So, yeah. I want characters who fill the roles we need for them to fill, and then we give them extra stuff as we revise and rewrite.
That's all.
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Broadcast Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah, I downloaded it, but it keeps giving me DLL errors and the only programs I can find to fix it expect me to pay.

Sounds good, I guess now we should just focus on getting the full plot down. Time to hop over to the brainstorming thread!!!
Sinister Broadcast
Sinister Broadcast
Shade

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:46 am

Yar, and I should poke our other new member until she posts in here and says hi, too.
SpiderLondon wrote:
C'mere, London!

((I'm unsure if quote summoning works with people in this forum type, but its worth a try))
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:38 am

Itchigotchi wrote:Yar, and I should poke our other new member until she posts in here and says hi, too.

C'mere, London!

((I'm unsure if quote summoning works with people in this forum type, but its worth a try))
I'm certain it does not.

Instead, have her make up her own intro thread (like I did).

I think we all should have our own. That'd be cool.
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Oh darn.
Oh well.
If we each get an introduction thread, can I claim this one? Hehh
Just joking.
I don't need an introduction ~
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:37 am

Iiiiii'm gonna go ahead and count this thread as your intro thread, Itchi.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=7285045#post7285045

^You are capable of this. (I am not.) You should play online D&D games.
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:46 am

Aye aye captain. *salutes*

I'm grinning at the fact that the thread in which I make the biggest fool of myself to put others at ease in order to introduce themselves has actually become MY introduction thread x'D
I guess I made it, so of course its mine.
'HELLO I AM NEW'
Wow Itchi you really know how to make an obnoxious entrance even when you're not new

Huh. That site does actually seem to have people that know what they're doing. Which is nice.
Maybe I'll register...later... when my brain is in exploring mode instead of 'feed me chocolate' mode.
Idk why you think you're incapable of playing in a place like that though- its kinda just like acting or doing a performance except simply using words? I mean, I know for a fact you're capable of typing shitloads if you're enthused about something.
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:50 am

Bascially, it's yours because you made it, yeah.

Itchigotchi wrote:Idk why you think you're incapable of playing in a place like that though- its kinda just like acting or doing a performance except simply using words? I mean, I know for a fact you're capable of typing shitloads if you're enthused about something.

Yes but not "in character".
I'm crap at that stuff.

It's less like performing a script, and more like improv-- only you have a day or so (with most games) to write it out.

And as you can see, I can write loads and loads about something, but I can't necessarily write that thing.

Chocolate is like... too rich for me, anymore.
I'm a lightweight.

If you want to make another thread Just For You!, you can. I know this one already has a bunch of stuff on it.
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:56 am

I'd feel strange making a thread for myself.
This ones fine. Plus I like the manatee introduction thing I wrote, heh.

You're a lightweight with chocolate? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa
You know you can get that 70% stuff, thats not even milky or heavy, its just like, bitter and nutty? Or the white chocolate end of the scale which is completely milky without any bitterness at all?
What DO you actually like eating then? Carrots or somethin'?

Yeah, I'd be awful at it if it was like performing a script ._.
I get cast in mostly non speaking roles for a reason hohohoho
Not to say I'm bad at speaking in front of people. Idk, I write speeches for class sometimes, but abandon them at the last minute and just speak without looking at them and only loosely follow them, haha
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:34 am

Eh, but "gourmet" chocolates are usually kind of gross, because they're all understated and bitter.
Idk, I just never liked dark chocolates, and even Milk Chocolate gets "too much" pretty fast. Chocolate is a rich desert.

I'd be OK if I were performing a script-- I got cast in speaking roles, but I usually get typecast. I'm, I guess, not very creative, and I don't exercise [being someone I'm not] very often.
I see what other people have made and want to make them better-- but I can't make the thing myself.

And, throwing away your script or speech, just shows that you're confident and know what you're talking about! I never had that problem >__>
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:45 am

haha, well its not so much as 'throw away' rather than accidentally verbally diverge and not want to lose my train of thought or the point I was making, and decide to simply not look down at it again.

Eh, I can understand other people not liking chocolate, I guess. Some days I don't, so I guess it would be like that all the time.
Who am I kidding, I once practically put myself into a chocolate coma once by eating a whole family size dark chocolate block in 10 minutes, which made me swear off it.... for about 2 days.
You never answered what you do actually like, though?

AHAHA what do you get typecast as??
I get given roles like 'angry old woman' or 'the horse' or 'the girl who didn't get to dance' or 'maid' or 'the quiet offsider of the evil headmaster' or 'generic maiden #3' or 'the crackpot in the background'. I'm not really sure if its typecasting but, hey, it means I get to dress up in lots of different outfits, which is a bonus, right?
OH!! I did get a substantial speaking role once, but, they rewrote the script so that I had the solo and somehow not the actual speaking lines >:U BURN YOU MUSICAL DIRECTOR BURN DON'T SPREAD MY DAMN PART ACROSS SIX OTHER IDIOTS
*cough*
...As you can see, I'm still somewhat annoyed at that. But eh, its all experience.
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:28 am

My first role was a middle-aged, washed up, boxing manager. Oh, and alcoholic. That was a pretty big part, actually, not a lead, but one of the more important secondary characters.  

Uh... later I was a drunk bum in a prologue and epilogue to a shakespeare thing...

Later I was a particular Jet (West Side Story). Later a handful of extras in RENT, later Mike Teevee (or something) in a modernized Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (so I was into vidja and ipods instead of TV shows, I guess) , and then just this fall... fall? I was the name-changed character of Schroeder, from "Peanuts cast grows to high-school age and learn about being gay and also bullying. also drugs." which, apparently, was heart-wrenching for a lot of people. that character was a twink piano player who, by the end, got his hands smashed in his piano by someone else and then pills himself to death.
I was the lead's love interest, so another pretty important secondary character, but there were only like, 6 characters in that one.
I skipped some, idr right now.
Yeah... splitting parts up so you can include everybody, that blows. But that's more of a highschool thing, right?

Do you still act? I've sort of given it up, it's too much work for too little payoff. I'm in it for the performance, and I can "perform" in one way or another... anywhere.

[EDIT]

And I prefer milk chocolate.

[EDIT2]
In other words, I usually get cast as bumbling comic relief.
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 am

By the way, have you seen this yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVBjS22ppdw
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Itchigotchi Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 am

Well, you've made your way up from being typecast as alcoholic, at least?

The peanuts thing sounds....weird. But at least its clear?
I was in something last year where I wasn't even quite sure what was going on, even by the final performance (and most other people didn't, either).
I suppose its probably a highschool thing, except that particular example was perhaps two months ago and it was a university arts production thing. Eh. No matter what stage in life it is, if its unprofessional then they try to involve as many people as possible, I think, in order to ensure some sort of audience.
I dunno if I could even say that I 'act' in the first place. Like, I'm not an actor, I just try out for/join things. I like to keep busy, so I'm not always in it for the 'payoff' at the end. I just sign up for crap, haha, well.... I used to.
:/
I'll probably rebuild that at some point, but for now its all kinda crumbled.
wow depressing end to the conversation hm think of a better topic qurl

I didn't mean which chocolate, silly! I meant food in general!
You seem like the sort of person to be able to more clearly define what you DONT like, rather than what you do like. Did you know thats a very scientific way of thinking? They use the same principle in hypothesis testing;
You can never prove for sure that something IS the cause of another thing, but you can use evidence of what its not. Sort of like, a logical process of elimination?
Maybe I should ask which things you dislike, instead, and assume everything else is fair game?

Also, yes, I've seen it.
I had a friend or two obsessed with it, which somehow made me less impressed when I finally did watch it.
Itchigotchi
Itchigotchi
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Truly_An_Cat Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:01 am

I like vanilla ice cream. I like chewing gum. I like milk (whole, pasturized). I like white bread (the uniform-loaf, square kind). I like avacado ice cream (which tastes like grass...). I like wine. I like grapefruit. I like licorice (the root, not the candy). I like roast beef sandwiches. I like breakfast cereals. I like things rolled in sugar. I like cotton-- er... fairy floss.
because I'm a fan of dialects.
I like ramen (which also has another name in Aus iirc, but I don't remember what it is,) with a raw egg put into it while it's still hot so the egg cooks some but not completely.
I like powdered sugar. I could just sit around and eat powdered sugar, except I always end up inhaling it. Every time.
I like pretzels and crisps with more salt on them than most people use. I like popcorn when it's drizzled with butter, melted from stick-form.

I do not like capers. There are some other foods I'm not a huge fan of, but little I will not eat. I will not eat capers. They're entirely gross.
Truly_An_Cat
Truly_An_Cat
Boss
Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next